In contrast to what the cynics said, my first week at Wellington East Girls College was exactly what I expected, in fact it exceeded my expectations. Some adjectives spring to mind…..exciting, interesting, chaotic at times, pacy, diverse, energetic, caring. In particular;
- the students are friendly (yes I know its early days)
- the other teachers supportive and helpful
- my Head of Department has the right mix of patience whilst giving you a free hand (new teachers have sooo many questions)
- there is a strategy with learners as the focus
- the school grounds are terrific and the Digital Technologies classes well set out
- the technology infrastructure is being upgraded and the use of Google applications encouraged
Yes there is administration, but if we care enough to ensure that students are safe, doing well at school and that their parents/whanau are involved a level of administration is required.
Roll on Week 2……….