Wellington East Girls College (WEGC) is considering implementing the Positive Behaviour for Learning programme. Its easy to be cynical, especially when teaching in a school that does not have a behaviour management problem. Underneath the covers however the programme looks like it can add value.The principles underpinning Positive Behaviour for Learning are:
- positive behaviour can be learnt and difficult and disruptive behaviour can be unlearnt
- individual children are not a ‘problem’ – we need to change the environment around them to support positive behaviour
- punishing and isolating children doesn’t bring about long-term and sustainable changes in behaviour
- we need to concentrate on a small number of evidence-based programmes and frameworks that we know work
- there are no quick fixes. Behaviour change takes time.
Not sure I agree with Bullet 2, but could be convinced. I strongly agree with bullet 5, and I also think that without some degree of consistency with home life not much will change.