Fake news – and the Pacific Northwest tree octopus (Octopus paxarbolis)

screen-shot-2016-07-21-at-10-59-06-am

Each year I ask my Year 9 students as part of a “no talking”but open Internet test to get me three facts about the Pacific Northwest tree octopus (Octopus paxarbolis). About 80% of the class dutifully access Google and write down three facts, usually from  http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/ The remaining 20% soon work out that this is an elaborately staged hoax ie a fake web site. If nothing else, 2016 has demonstrated that students must be able to critically analyse sources of information…

“Students in the 21st century must be able to take information from multiple places and in a variety of different formats, determine its reliability, and create new knowledge from that information.” Source: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/reinventing_k12_learning/2016/12/three_great_resources_to_help_students_fight_off_fake_news.html?cmp=soc-edit-tw

This short article is worth a read.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s