As is usual practice at the start of a new year, schools start comparing results for NZQA assessments, both internal and external. Hopefully this gives an idea of relative performance. My initial skim of comparative data yielded some interesting data and a few questions… (Recall we are a Decile 8 all girls school)
- Who do you compare your selves to? Decile 8, with 8-10 as stretch targets?
- Do you compare against girls only or boys and girls?
- WEGC does well on external Digital Technologies assessments eg At L3 information systems report we had 21% Excellence grades awarded verses a Decile 8-10 national average of 13% (girls only decile 8-10)
- We compare well with internal assessments also… but there appears to be a trend towards what I call “Excellence creep” across schools ie twice as many Excellence grades being awarded. Perhaps we are just getting better at teaching the content… or interpreting the standard…
- Some schools do no enter Not Achieved results. I am aware that some NA grades at other schools resulted in students being withdrawn (not condoned or allowed as I understand it)
I am sure the number crunchers will have plenty to look at over the next few months… I wonder if the data is made widely available for the press to analyse?