I was asked by a parent for some comments about self management skills. My reply incorporated the following… (future employers would expect no less). It is surprising how challenging students find self management.
… good self management leads to better grades and less stress. It allows students to take control of their work/life balance.
Things I expect to see from a student with good self management:
- Diary or calendar showing future assessments, commitments etc.
- Proactive finding out what work is due and when… both formative and summative assessments.
- Have “friends/peers” to take notes when away – organise someone
- Plan in detail for one week, less detail for one month.
- Identify what could go wrong and have a plan if things do go wrong ie getting sick, Internet down…
- Not wasting valuable class time – be productive.
- Working without supervision both at home and school.