I doubt I will actually learn or use much Te Reo in the classroom although I will certainly encourage those students that want to use the language. How might I do this in Digital Technologies/Computer Science?
- encourage those students that want to/can, to produce website content in Maori
- teach the selection of font sets that support the Maori language
- teach students how to incorporate Google translate functionality directly into their websites
- use program variable names in Maori (good comments required, however)
- using WEGC style guide for the selection of common Maori words (modelled on NZ Govt style guide)
- building quizzes that test Te Reo knowledge and teach programming concepts of sequence selection and iteration
- database design incorporating iwi/hapu relationships into person data structure
- having school values on the whiteboard in Maori and English (often used to explore ethical and moral dimensions of computer science) ie
I suspect there are plenty of other options… maybe the students will have some suggestions.